Full System Restore (with Backup) Using System Recovery Disc
Show Part Numbers
Hide Part Numbers
7515219This option moves the C: drive contents to the "C:\My Backup" directory and installs a new copy of Windows®. This option preserves your existing data files in the C:\My Backup folder, however all applications and settings will need to be reinstalled. This option requires a minimum 4 GB of free hard disk space on the C: partition for the new installation of Windows. This does not recreate the recovery partition and does not automatically reinstall drivers and applications.
Note: Due to the large number of virus and Spyware threats on the Internet, it is recommended that you disconnect all Internet connections before reinstalling Windows. After the Windows installation, antivirus and firewall software can be installed and then the Internet connection can be re-enabled to update the antivirus definitions and perform Windows Updates.
- Place the System Recovery Disc into the optical drive.
- Turn off the computer, using the normal Windows shut down process.
- After the computer is turned off, disconnect all USB devices except the keyboard and mouse. This includes USB devices such as a printer, scanner, removable storage, or camera.
Note: The computer must be configured to boot to the CD/DVD drive.
- Turn on the computer. To start recovery, at the prompt press the R key.
Note: Do not press F11, or the computer will start to the hard drive System Recovery.
- To format the drive and perform a full system recovery, press the F key.
- System Recovery launches.
- In the System Restore Options dialog box, click Full System Restore (with Backup), and then click Next.
Note: If there is not enough hard disk space for a backup and the operating system, drivers, and applications, you will see an Install Master Boot Option screen instead.
- Files copy.
- In the System Restore dialog box, click Restart.
- The computer restarts.
- The OOBE launches. Follow the on screen prompts to complete the OOBE process
- Windows XP Installation is complete.
- Place the Drivers and Applications CD in the optical drive, and then select to install the drivers and programs that came with the computer.
- Any application that shipped on a separate CD can now be installed. It is recommended to update the antivirus definitions and perform Windows Updates.