Why does my program not work on the Internet or network after installing SP2?
When Windows Firewall is protecting the computer and a program that is not in the Exceptions list tries to make an Internet or network connection, the connection will be blocked. A message similar to the following may appear, depending on certain settings:
To allow the program to work on the Internet or network after installing SP2, it must be added to the Exceptions list or the ports it uses must be added.
Use the following steps to add a program or the port a program uses to the Exceptions list.
- If presented with a Windows Security Alert dialog box like above, and the program is trustworthy or you know why it is prompting to accept connections, click Unblock.
- Contact the program vendor for a program update that is compatible with SP2.
- Add a Program exception to Windows Firewall.
- From the Start menu, click Control Panel.
- In Control Panel, click Security Center.
- In Windows Security Center, in the Manage Security Settings For area, click Windows Firewall .
- In the Windows Firewall window, click the Exceptions tab, and then click Add Program.
- In the Add a Program dialog box, select the program you would like to add. If the program is not listed, click Browse to select it. Once the program is selected, click OK.
- The program is added to the Exceptions list. Verify that it has a check mark indicating that it is unblocked.
- Add a Port exception to Windows Firewall.