System Restore from Command Prompt
- Restart the computer.
- As the computer restarts, begin pressing the F8 key after the Gateway BIOS logo appears until the Windows Advanced Options Menu screen appears.
- On the Windows Advanced Options Menu screen, use the arrow keys to select Safe Mode with Command Prompt, and then press the ENTER key.
- On the Please select the operating system to start screen, select the Microsoft Windows XP operating system, and then press ENTER.
- At the login screen, log on as the administrator or a user who has administrator rights.
- At the command prompt, type: c:\windows\system32\restore\rstrui.exe. Press ENTER.
Note: If Windows has not been reinstalled, the folder is c:\winnt\system32\restore\rstrui.exe.
- The graphical user interface (GUI)-based System Restore utility is launched. Follow the instructions on the screen to begin restoring your computer to a previous, functional state.
Note: For additional information, refer to Microsoft Knowledge Base Article 304449.