Audio Crackles or Has Static When Playing Learning Library CD or Online Training
Affected Products: Notebooks, Software
Affected Operating Systems: Not OS DependentISSUE: When listening to the audio from a Learning Library CD or from the online training, the audio may start to crackle or play static after approximately five seconds of playing. This issue only occurs on computers with a SigmaTel Audio solution, such as a Tablet PC M1300, Tablet PC M1200, M500, 450ROG, 400VTX, or 200ARC. RESOLUTION:
Solution for CD training: Force the Gateway Learning Library CD to use the Sun Java Runtime Environment on the CD and not Microsoft Java.
- Place a Learning Library CD into the drive and start a new course. Verify the issue occurs.
- Close all programs.
- Right-click a blank space on the desktop. From the shortcut menu, select New, and then click Shortcut.
- In the Create Shortcut dialog box, type: D:\Setup\Skillb\Sbdx.exe /noms (where D is the drive letter of the CD/DVD drive). Click Next.
- In the Select a Title for the Program dialog box, type an appropriate name for the shortcut.
- Double-click the new shortcut that was created on the desktop to launch the Learning Library software. Use this shortcut each time you want to use the Learning Library software.
Solution for Online training: Download and install Sun Java Runtime Environment version 1.4.2, and then configure Internet Explorer to use the Sun Java Runtime Environment.
Note: If other issues arise after installing the Sun Java Runtime Environment, Internet Explorer's Internet Options can be modified again. The Sun Java Runtime Environment can also be removed through Add or Remove Programs.
- Download the Sun Java Runtime Environment. The file is approximately 1.35 Megabytes (MB) in size.
- Open Internet Explorer, and go to the following URL: http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/download.html
- Under the Download J2SE v 1.4.2_01 JRE heading, click the Windows Installation Download link for JRE.
- Scroll through the license agreement, and then click ACCEPT at the bottom of the page.
- On the Download Java 2 Runtime Environment page, click Download j2re-1_4_2_01-windows-i586-iftw.exe.
- In the File Download box, click Save.
- In the Save As dialog box, select to save the file to the desktop, and then click Save.
- When the download is complete, close all open windows.
- Install the Sun Java Runtime Environment.
- On the desktop, double click the j2re-1_4_2_01-windows-i586-iftw.exe icon.
- In the Software License Agreement dialog box, click I accept the terms in the license agreement, and then click Next.
- In the Setup Type dialog box, click Typical, and then click Next.
- In the InstallShield Wizard Completed dialog box, click Finish.
- If prompted, restart your computer.
Note: To make sure that the Sun Java Runtime Environment is properly installed, run java -version from a command prompt.
- Configure Internet Explorer to use the Sun Java Runtime Environment.
- Open Internet Explorer.
- In the Internet Explorer window, from the Tools menu, click Internet Options.
- In the Internet Options dialog box, click the Advanced tab. Locate the section titled Java (Sun), and then verify that Use Java 2 v1.4.2_01 for <applet> is checked.
- Locate the section titled Microsoft VM, and then verify that JIT Complier for virtual machine enabled is not checked. Click OK.
- Close all open windows and restart the computer. When the computer returns to the desktop, verify that the online learning properly works. Make sure to click Grant this session on the Java Plug-in Security warning messages.