MS-7248 Motherboard Experiences Intermittent Operating System Lockups
Affected Products: E-Series Computers, Desktop Computers
Affected Operating Systems: Not OS DependentISSUE: The MS-7248 motherboard may lock up or not respond when starting up or when the computer is in Windows. This issue is limited to revision 6 of the motherboard, manufactured between January 1 - May 18, 2007.
- Update the BIOS to version W7248AG2P.20J or later. Version W7248AG2P.20J is filename 9538108.exe dated (6/27/2007), and can be downloaded from the Gateway Web site.
Note: The file name date is important as the switches for the BIOS flash utility were changed to overwrite the boot record from when it was first posted.
- If the computer continues to lock up after updating the BIOS, perform the following steps one by one. Determine if the lockups still occur before moving to the next step. Only use the steps needed to resolve the lockup issue.
- In Control Panel, Power Options change the Power scheme to Home/Office Desk.
- Clear CMOS by moving the jumper on the motherboard.
- Reload the operating system and drivers using the Gateway System Recovery process.