Microsoft One Note Cannot Record From the Internal Microphone
Affected Products: Notebook Computers
Affected Operating Systems: Windows® XPISSUE: "External Mic" is the default setting for Microsoft® One Note during installation. When Microsoft One Note is opened for the first time, it changes the Microphone settings in the Sounds, Speech, and Audio Devices in Control Panel. External Mic is selected as the default setting. This prevents any recording through the internal microphone.
RESOLUTION: Use the following steps to resolve this issue.
- Open Microsoft One Note.
- From the Tools menu, click Audio and Video Recording.
- In the Tools and Recording dialog box, click Audio and Video Settings.
- In the Audio and Video Settings, change the Input to Internal Mic. Click OK.
- Close Microsoft One Note.
- Open Control Panel.
- In Control Panel, open Sounds and Audio Devices.
- If in Category View, click Sounds, Speech, and Audio Devices, and then click Sounds and Audio Devices.
- If in Classic View, double-click Sounds and Audio Devices.
- In the Sounds and Audio Devices Properties window, click the Audio tab.
- On the Audio tab, in the Sound recording area, click Volume.
- In the Sound Recording dialog box, select Internal Mic.
- In the Microphone list, click Advanced, and then click to select Microphone Boost. Click Close.
- Close the Recording Control dialog box.
- In the Sounds and Audio Devices Properties window, click Apply, and then click OK.
- Close all Control Panel windows.
- The computer may need restarted to apply changes. Shut down Windows and restart the computer.