Gateway Server Manager (GSM) May Cause Issues with Backups
Affected Products: Servers
Affected Operating Systems: Not OS DependentISSUE: In isolated cases, you may experience backup failures after all other troubleshooting steps have been taken. When this issue occurs, the following characteristics are true:
RESOLUTION: Uninstall GSM from the server.
- The backup produces a hardware failure error (typically a device I/O error) and requires a cold reboot in order for the drive to be available to the backup application.
- The backup generally fails around the 2 GB or 4 GB mark and the tape drive is attached to an LSI SCSI controller.
- The server also has an LSI MegaRAID controller installed.
- Gateway Server Manager (GSM) is installed on the server.
- As a work around to allow you to keep GSM installed, attach the tape drive to an Adaptec SCSI controller instead of an LSI.
- For servers that are not domain controllers, GSM 3.3 can be installed as a soluton.