System Restore Options Missing When Using F11 to Start Recovery
Affected Products: Software
Affected Operating Systems: Windows® XPISSUE: After pressing F11 to start recovery, some System Restore options may be missing. Full System Restore (Destructive) and Full System Restore (with Backup) may not be available.
Correct System Restore options:
Incorrect System Restore options:
Additionally, if the Non Destructive System Recovery is selected, the restart button may be missing once the process is complete.
This issue shipped on a limited number of E-2300, E-4300, E-6300, and Profile 5.5 computers. RESOLUTION: A patch has been created to correct the System Restore options. This patch is available on the Gateway Web site as filename WMX_restore.exe.
If the patch is unavailable, the operating system can still be reinstalled by using the following steps.
- Disconnect all USB devices except the keyboard and mouse. This includes USB devices such as a printer, scanner, removable storage, or camera.
- Turn on the computer. To start recovery, at the prompt press the F11 key.
- In the Systems Recovery dialog box, select Advanced Options.
- In the Recovery Options dialog box, select System Recovery - Quick Format, and then click Next.
- In the Windows XP built-in repair features dialog box, click Yes.
- In the System Recovery - Format and Recover dialog box, click Yes.
- The computer copies files.
- In the System Recovery dialog box, turn off the computer by pressing the power button.
- Turn on the computer.
- Drivers and applications install.
- In the Welcome to Microsoft Windows screen, click Next.
- In the Are your speakers working? screen, click Yes! I can hear the music!, and then click Next.
- In the What time zone are you in? screen, select the appropriate time zone, and then click Next.
- In the End User License Agreement screen, click Yes I accept for both EULAs, and then click Next.
- In the Help Protect your PC screen, select Help protect my PC by turning on Automatic Updates now, and then click Next.
- In the What's your computer's name? screen, type a name for the computer and a description, if desired, and then click Next.
- The computer checks the Internet connectivity. Please wait.
- In the What's your Administrator password? screen, type the appropriate information, and then click Next.
- In the Thank you screen, click Finish.
- Installation is complete. Any application that shipped on a separate CD can now be installed. It is recommended to update the antivirus definitions and perform Windows Updates.