450ROG Notebook Battery Not Charging to 100 Percent
Affected Products: Notebook Computers
Affected Operating Systems: Not OS DependentISSUE: The 450ROG battery may not charge to 100%. The battery charge indicator may be orange or red. RESOLUTION: The 450ROG battery may be operating properly but simply misreporting the current status. Follow each step below:
Note: Batteries only have a 1 year warranty.
- It may be normal operation if the battery is not charging above 95%. If the battery is in the discharge cycle, the battery does not charge up to 100% until it discharges below 95%. For example, if the computer was running on battery power and discharged down to 96%, plugging in the AC adapter will not allow the battery to charge further. To charge further, the AC must be unplugged and the battery must drain to 94% or lower. Once drained to 94% or lower the AC adapter can be plugged in again and the battery should charge above 96%.
- Charge the battery with the 450ROG powered off and only the AC adapter connected.
- Check battery status on the battery itself.
- Charge the battery as full as possible.
- Remove the battery from the battery bay.
- Press the battery meter button on the battery. If the indicator for 100% is lit, the battery is likely operating properly.
- Sometimes, it may be necessary to reseat the battery in order to get it to charge completely and have the correct battery charge indicator status. Charge the battery as full as possible and then reseat the battery and charge further.
- Update to BIOS version 40.02.04 or later. This BIOS incorporates changes to fix an issue with the battery charge indicator displaying battery status incorrectly.
- Use Battery Auto Learning to recalibrate the battery. Do not interrupt the battery recalibration process. If recalibration is interrupted, you must start the process over again.
- Connect the AC adapter, and then turn on the computer.
- As soon as the startup screen is visible, press the F2 key. The BIOS Setup Utility opens.
- In the BIOS Setup Utility, open the Advanced menu.
- Select Battery Auto Learning, and then select Enabled.
- Open the Exit menu, and then select Exit Saving Changes. Press the ENTER key.
- Select Yes, and then press ENTER.
- The battery learning process begins, and a screen appears showing you the progress. The entire process takes several hours. When the recalibration has finished, a "Press [Esc] key to exit" message appears.
- Press the ESC key.