Upgrade to Windows NT 4.0 Server From Another Operating System
Part number 1001515,3500914,3501070,3501082,3501125,3501230,4000719,4000756,4000780,7501817
Windows NT 4.0 provides automated upgrade paths for MS-DOS 6.x, Windows 3.x, Windows for Workgroups 3.x, and Windows NT Workstation 3.x operating systems. However, due to differences in registry architectures, Windows '95 must be upgraded manually.
Upgrading Windows '95 to Windows NT 4.0 Workstation Manually
- Make sure all Windows '95 devices and applications are supported by Windows NT 4.0 Workstation.
- Install Windows NT 4.0 Workstation into a separate directory, creating a dual boot system. The boot menu presents the options of:
- Windows NT Workstation 4.0
- Windows NT Workstation 4.0 (VGA Mode)
Note: The choice of "MS-DOS" may also be "Microsoft Windows" depending on the previous Windows '95 installation. Choosing MS-DOS (or Microsoft Windows) as the boot option takes the computer into Windows '95.
- Reinstall all applications.
- (OPTIONAL) Manually delete or uninstall the Windows '95 directory.