Installation of Red Hat 7.3 on 920 Server
Part number 3501330,3501437,3501672,4000798,4000816
Note: Gateway has not tested this operating system on this particular platform but has verified basic functionality in a lab environment. This information is provided as a courtesy only to those server customers who choose to use this server operating system.
- Red Hat 7.3 CD Set (three CDs)
- Blank 1.44-megabyte (MB) floppy disk
These instructions contain all the information needed to install Red Hat 7.3 on a 920 series server using the integrated hardware components and the Adaptec 29160 SCSI card. These instructions work whether or not you have a SCSI card installed.
- With Red Hat CD 1 in the CD-ROM drive, start the computer. The computer should start to the CD.
- To continue the installation in graphical mode, press the ENTER key.
- After the kernel and the aic7xxx driver, if installed, loads, the graphical installation starts. On the Welcome to Red Hat Linux screen, click Next.
- When prompted for the default language, select the appropriate option. English is the default option. Click Next.
- Select your keyboard, if different than the default option, Generic 105-key (Intl) PC, U.S. English, and then click Next.
- Select the mouse type. The 3-Button Mouse (PS/2) is the default option. Click Next.
- Select the type of installation:
- Workstation: Installs applications suitable for corporate users or developers as well as home users.
- Server: Installs applications that would typically run on a server.
- Laptop: Installs applications suitable to run on a portable computer.
- Custom: Allows you to select the options you want to use.
For the purpose of this document, Server is selected. If you select a different option, the basic installation is the same. However, some options may not appear, or extra options may appear that are not outlined in this document. To continue, click Next.
- Select Have the installer automatically partition for you, the default option, and then click Next. If you have new hard drives or they are completely blank, you may receive a message requesting initialization of the drive. Click Yes.
- Select Remove all partitions on this system, the default option, and then click Next.
- When you receive a warning that you will be deleting all data on the drives, click Yes.
- On the the Partitioning Scheme screen, make any necessary changes, and then click Next.
- On the Boot Loader Configuration screen, make any necessary changes. Typically, nothing needs to be changed on this page.
- On the next screen, if you do not want to set a GRUB password, click Next.
- Configure the settings on the network card as desired. Use the TAB key to move between the fields. Red Hat auto-populates many settings such as network and broadcast. When completed, click Next.
- Select your firewall settings, or if you want to do this later, select No Firewall, and then click Next.
- Select any additional languages you want the system to support, and then click Next.
- Select the appropriate time zone, and then click Next.
- Set the root password, and then click Next.
- Make any necessary modifications to the installed packages, and then click Next.
- The system selects the ATI Mach64 video card and 8MB video. With this default option selected, click Next.
- To continue installation of packages, click Next. When prompted, insert the required CDs.
- To create a boot disk (strongly advised), click Next. Otherwise, select Skip boot disk creation, and then click Next.
- Select the appropriate screen settings. If using a Gateway monitor, use the probed monitor setting, or select the model under Gateway, and then click Next.
- Select the color depth and resolution, and the GUI option, if desired. If you are going to start into the GUI, test settings by clicking Test Setting. To continue, click Next.
- Click Exit to complete the installation.
Concluding Statements and Known Common Issues
Note: If you have issues installing Red Hat 7.3 on this system, try moving the CD-ROM/TBU to the secondary controller instead of the tertiary controller. By default, this system is configured with the CD-ROM drive installed on the tertiary IDE controller