Novell NetWare 6 Installation for 960/980 Series Servers
Note: Gateway has not tested this operating system on this particular platform but has verified basic functionality in a lab environment. This information is provided as a courtesy only to those Gateway customers who choose to use these server operating systems. These instructions do not in anyway imply that Gateway fully supports this operating system.
Configuration Notes: These instructions assume that the server is using the addon Elite 1600 493 2-channel RAID controller, the integrated Adaptec SCSI controllers, the integrated video card, and the integrated 1Gb Ethernet controller. These steps also assume that the CD-ROM drive is attached to either the primary or secondary integrated IDE controller.
Note: Do not have the RAID controller installed in PCI slot 2 or 3.
- NetWare 6 Installation CD media, including licensing information.
- Intel® Integrated Gb NIC drivers (82544CG). These drivers can be obtained from http://support.intel.com. The file name is Pronware.exe. At the writing of this document these drivers were too large to fit on a floppy disk and be extracted into a program called makedisk that would create the disk for the user.
- Server Add-on Disk or Network Controller drivers (for any products added to the system).
- The latest updated Support Pack from the Novell Web site.
- Insert the Novell installation CD into the CD-ROM drive, and then restart the computer. The computer starts from the CD-ROM and begins preparing the hard drive for NetWare Installation.
- When prompted for the language selection, select English, and then press the ENTER key.
- If the installation program detects an existing startup partition on the hard drive, it gives the option of using this partition, or creating a new one. For new servers, select Create a New Boot Partition, and then press ENTER.
- The next screen prompts you to specify the size of the boot partition to create. The default is 100 megabytes (MB), or desired capacity. To accept this size, select Continue, and then press ENTER.
- On the next screen, to confirm that you want to create a new partition, select Continue, and then press ENTER. The installation program restarts the server and formats the partition created.
- The Novell NetWare logo screen momentarily appears as the installation program loads.
- The License Agreement for Jreport runtime appears. Press the F10 key to accept the license agreement.
- On the Welcome to NetWare Server Installation screen, select Express to install with typical settings or Custom for more advanced control. These instructions assume this is a New Server installation. To begin installation on a new server, select Continue, and then press ENTER.
- The settings used for Express installation are displayed. Select Continue, and then press ENTER.
- Files copy to the C:\NWSERVER folder to begin loading drivers.
- A message regarding the selection of storage and network drivers installation is displayed. Press ENTER to continue.
- NetWare installation displays the detected storage devices and network interface cards. The installation detects most hardware. Select Modify, and then press ENTER.
- Select Storage.
- Select the Network Boards field.
- On the Drivers Listing screen, press the INSERT key to display a list of available drivers. Press INSERT again to install an unlisted driver.
- The default search is drive A. Insert the floppy disk created from prerequisite step 2, and then press ENTER. NetWare begins searching the disk.
- The drivers are selected and identified as CE1000.LAN Intel (r) 8254X Based Netware Connection. Press ENTER.
- NetWare installation displays the configurable parameters with the SLOT address already specified. From the menu, select the Return to Driver List option.
- Select the Return to Driver Summary option to go back to the list of the Storage Devices and Network Drivers. Select Continue.
- Drivers are loaded for the detected hardware.
- System information is saved.
- NetWare installation searches for available hard drives.
- The Novell Storage System (NSS) is loaded onto the hard drives.
- The SYS volume is mounted.
- The CD-ROM driver is loaded.
- The CD-ROM drive is mounted.
- Files copy to the SYS volume.
- NetWare installation changes to the graphical interface and loads the installation wizard.
- In the Server Properties dialog box, type the name of the server, and then click Next.
Note: The server name should be different from the name you plan to use for the NDS tree and must be unique from all other servers on the NDS tree. The name can be between 2 and 47 alphanumeric characters and can contain underscores and dashes, but no spaces. The first character cannot be a period.
- Insert the disk containing the license into the floppy disk drive. In the Licenses dialog box, type the path to the license file on the disk. Select the file name for the license, and then click Next.
- In the Protocols dialog box, select the network interface card. To activate the TCP/IP protocol for this card, select the IP check box, and then type the IP address information into the fields. To enable IPX protocol, select the IPX check box. When complete, click Next.
- NetWare installation connects to the network and checks for duplicate server names.
- In the Domain Name Service dialog box, if the network contains a domain name server, type the required information provided by your network administrator. If there is no domain name server, leave this information blank. When complete, click Next.
Note: If you click Next without typing the information, a Warning dialog box opens. Click OK to confirm.
- In the Time Zone dialog box, select the correct time zone, and then click Next.
- In the NDS Install dialog box, if this is the first server on the network or to create a new Novell Directory Services (NDS) tree, select New NDS Tree. To add this server to an existing tree, select Existing NDS Tree. Click Next.
- In the next dialog box, type the NDS tree information provided by your network administrator. When prompted for the Admin Account Password, type this information, and then click Next.
- NDS is installed on the server.
- The NDS Summary dialog box opens, displaying the NDS information for this server. Write down this information, and then click Next.
- In the Installation Options dialog box, select Install standard NetWare products or, if necessary, one of the other options, and then click Next.
- Adding additional licenses may be allowed at this point. Click Next.
- The products to be installed with the operating system are listed. Modify the list by clicking Customize. When the list of installation options is configured as desired, click Finish.
- Files copy to the sys: volume folder. This process typically takes 15 to 20 minutes.
- In the Installation Complete dialog box, to restart the computer, click Yes .
- The NetWare 6 is fully installed on the system.
- The server installation is completed. It is strongly suggested that the latest support pack update from Novell for this operating system be installed at this time.