How do I replace a hot-plug hard drive?
- Use the appropriate software utility for your operating system to stop all activity on the failed hard drive and to determine which hard drive has failed.
- If the disk carrier is locked, use the hex key to unlock the carrier. Locked carriers show a red flag in the slot on the carrier handle.
- Remove the hard drive from the bay by pressing down on the carrier handle, and then pulling the handle out and down from the front of the chassis.
- Continue pulling outward until the hard drive is completely out of the system.
- Remove the four screws that secure the hard drive to the carrier.
- Install the new hard drive into the carrier using the four screws you removed in step 5.
- Align the drive rails with the slots on the top and bottom of the drive bay. Leave the carrier handle in the down position.
- Push the hard drive all the way into the bay until the handle starts to close because of contact with the front of the chassis. Verify that the hooks on the bottom of the carrier handle latch over the edge of the drive bay and firmly close the handle.
- If necessary, use the hex key to lock the drive carrier.