Frequently Asked Questions
Part number 5501236
- How should I troubleshoot a DAT tape drive that is not recognized?
- What are some reasons my TBU doesn't backup to the full compressed capacity of the cartridge?
- How can I configure Backup Exec to quit prompting me to overwrite?
- When and why would I ever need to erase a tape?
- Regarding tape drives, what is cataloging?
- Why is it important to have an offsite backup?
- How do I test my tape drive in Windows NT, 2000, and 2003 Server?
- What drivers should I use for my DAT backup unit in Windows NT Server, Windows 2000 Server, Windows 2003 Server, Netware 4.x, Netware 5.x, Netware 6.x, Linux, and SCO Unix?
- What is the Removable Storage Manager (RSM) and how do I troubleshoot with it?
- What are the pros and cons of doing a Full (Normal), Incremental, and Differential Backup?
- What does formatting a tape do?
- What does the inquiry string dip switch configure?
- Why does my backup time out and retry to backup open files?
- What does helical scan/linear scan mean?
- What does the Prepare Media option do in Windows 2000 RSM?
- How do I remove a DDS tape that is stuck in the dat tape drive?
- How do I verify TBU recognition in NetWare 4, 5, 6?
- What are the optimal SCSI settings for the tape backup unit?
- What does the DDS Passthru jumper do?
- What is meant by the term backup set, media set?
- Can I install a TBU on my MegaRAID controller?
- My Backup Application fails giving the error message "write protected." What do I do?
- Why does Veritas Backup Exec keep ejecting my tape for a scheduled backup?
- Can I have other IDE devices on the same cable as my tape drive?
- What are the cleaning guidelines for DAT tape drives?
- How do I perform a simple backup operation in Microsoft® Windows® 2000 Server?
- What do the LEDs on the front of the drive mean?
- How do I configure the DIP switches?
- How do I load or unload a tape cartridge?
- How do I initialize a blank tape cartridge?
- How do I writeprotect a tape cartridge?
- When should I clean the tape heads?
- How do I install a tape backup unit (TBU) in SCO Open Server 5.0.x?
- How do I perform a simple Veritas Server Backup operation?
- How do I perform a simple Windows 2000 Server Restore operation?
- How do I perform a simple Veritas Server Restore operation in Veritas Backup Exec?
- How do I schedule tape backups in Windows 2000?
- Should I attach my SCSI tape drive or CD-ROM drive to the same cable as my hard drive?
- How do I configure an Unattended Tape Backup in Windows NT with NTBackup?
- What are Bad Block errors with regard to running backups?
- Why does my Windows 2000 scheduled backup prompt me to insert new media even though there is a tape in the drive?
- Why does the software I received with my add-on TBU not install in Windows NT Server or Windows 2000 Server?
- Why do I only see the first backup set on the tape, although it has several (when it is initially inventoried)?
- My TBU will not detect any media. How should I troubleshoot this?
- If servers are so reliable, then why do I need a backup?
- How can I test my tape backup unit in MS-DOS?
- How can I test my TBU in Linux?
- How can I test my TBU in NetWare?
- How do I schedule tape backups in Windows 2003?
- How long should a typical tape last and when should it be retired?
- What are the performance and capacity comparisons among some of the tape drives?
- What is the difference between a quick and a long erase?
- Why does Windows Native Backup not work after installing Veritas?
- What is a media label on the tape?
- What does it mean to run an inventory on a drive?
- What are the differences between an IDE and a SCSI TBU?
- Why am I getting an error in Windows NT or Windows 2000 Backup after installing a different (third-party) backup program?
- When should I use term power on my SCSI devices?
- What is indicated by the SCSI error: "Device not ready/Send Unit start command failed"?