Novell Netware 6.0 Installation for 995 Servers
Part number 3501655,4000847,850912
Before you begin the installation on the 995 server, obtain all of the appropriate drivers from the download area at http://www.gateway.com or from the Server Companion CD provided with your server. The drivers needed to begin the installation are the Adaptec U320 (AIC-7902) SCSI Controller drivers.
Note: This procedure assumes that the installation is on a newly formatted hard drive.
- Place the Novell installation CD into the CD-ROM drive, and then restart the computer. The computer starts from the CD-ROM and begins preparing the hard drive for NetWare installation.
- When prompted for the language selection, select English, and then press the ENTER key.
- When prompted, accept the License Agreement.
- In the next screen, select Create a New Boot Partition, and then press ENTER.
- The next screen prompts you to specify the size of the boot partition to create. The default is 100 megabytes (MB), or desired capacity. To accept this size, select Continue, and then press ENTER.
- On the next screen, to confirm that you wish to create a new partition, select Continue, and then press ENTER. The installation program restarts the server and formats the partition created.
- The Novell NetWare logo screen momentarily appears as the installation program loads.
- The License Agreement for Jreport runtime appears. Press the F10 key to accept the license agreement.
- The next screen prompts for which type of installation is to be performed. The Express installation is chosen by default and needs to be changed to Custom before continuing. To change to Custom, select Express and then press ENTER. The field changes to Custom. Press the DOWN ARROW key to Continue, and then press ENTER.
- A message regarding some of the basic Server Settings displays. Accept the defaults, and then press ENTER to continue.
- A message regarding some of the basic Country Settings displays. Make any changes needed, and then press ENTER to continue.
- A message regarding some of the basic Mouse and Video Settings displays. Accept the defaults, and then press ENTER to continue.
- The message "The following device drivers were detected for the server. Add, Change or Delete drivers" displays. Press the UP ARROW key until the line that displays IDEATA is selected, and then press ENTER.
- The Driver/Device Name screen displays with only the IDEATA.HAM driver listed. Press the INSERT key to specify additional drivers.
- In the Select a driver for each storage adapter in this server screen, select Add an Unlisted Driver, and then press the INSERT key.
- The default search is drive A. Insert the floppy disk with the Adaptec U320 (AIC-7902) SCSI Controller drivers, and then press ENTER.
- The drivers are selected and identified as IDEATA.HAM and Adpu320.HAM. Press ENTER. Select Return to Driver Summary, and then press ENTER.
- On the Driver Summary page, the SCSI drivers have been added to the Storage Adapters list. The list displays IDEATA, ADPU320, ADPU320. Select Continue, and then press ENTER.
- The Storage Devices that were detected after the drivers loaded are displayed and listed as IDECD, SCSIHD, and QLCSFTE. On this same screen, note that the Network Boards were also detected and are displayed as CE100B and CE1000. Select Continue, and then press ENTER.
- The next screen displays the manufacturer and model number of the first hard drive that was detected in the server. It allows configuration of such options as the Filesystem Type, NetWare Partition Size, Volume SYS Size, and File Compression. Configure the options which best suit your installation, and then press ENTER on continue.
- Drivers are loaded for the detected hardware.
- System information is saved.
- NetWare installation searches for available hard drives.
- The Novell Storage System (NSS) is loaded onto the hard drives.
- The SYS volume is mounted.
- The CD-ROM driver is loaded.
- The CD-ROM drive is mounted.
- Files copy to the SYS volume.
- NetWare installation changes to the graphical interface and loads the installation wizard.
- In the Server Properties dialog box, type the name of the server, and then click Next.
Note: The server name should be different from the name you plan to use for the NDS tree, and must be unique from all other servers on the NDS tree. The name can be between 2 and 47 alphanumeric characters in length, and can contain underscores and dashes, but no spaces. The first character cannot be a period.
- Insert the disk containing the license into the floppy disk drive. In the Licenses dialog box, type the path to the license file on the disk. Select the file name for the license, and then click Next.
- In the Protocols dialog box, select the network interface card. To activate the TCP/IP protocol for this card, select the IP check box, and then type the IP address information into the fields. To enable IPX protocol, select the IPX check box. When complete, click Next.
- NetWare installation connects to the network and checks for duplicate server names.
- In the Domain Name Service dialog box, if the network contains a domain name server, type the required information provided by your network administrator. If there is no domain name server, leave this information blank. When complete, click Next.
Note: If you click Next without typing the information, a Warning dialog box opens. Click OK to confirm.
- In the Time Zone dialog box, select the correct time zone, and then click Next.
- In the NDS Install dialog box, if this is the first server on the network or to create a new Novell Directory Services (NDS) tree, select New NDS Tree. To add this server to an existing tree, select Existing NDS Tree. Click Next.
- In the next dialog box, type the NDS tree information provided by your network administrator. When prompted for the Admin Account Password, type this information, and then click Next.
- NDS installs on the server.
- The NDS Summary dialog box opens, displaying the NDS information for this server. Write down this information, and then click Next.
- In the Installation Options dialog box, select Install standard NetWare products, or if necessary, one of the other options, and then click Next.
- Adding additional licenses may be allowed at this point. Click Next.
- The products to be installed with the operating system are listed. Modify the list by clicking Customize. When the list of installation options is configured as desired, click Finish.
- Files copy to the sys: volume folder. This process typically takes 15 to 20 minutes.
- In the Installation Complete dialog box, to restart the computer, click Yes .
- The NetWare 6 is fully installed on the server.
- The server installation is completed. It is strongly suggested that the latest support pack update from Novell for this operating system be installed at this time.