Recovery Console Installation and Access with Gateway System Recovery Windows XP Already Installed
Use the following steps to install and access the Microsoft® Windows® XP Recovery Console after Windows XP is already installed on your computer.
- Open the Run dialog box.
- In the Run dialog box, in the Open text box, type: C:\WINDOWS\i386\winnt32.exe /cmdcons, and then click OK.
- In the Windows Setup dialog box, click OK.
- In the next Windows Setup dialog box, to install the Recovery Console, click Yes.
- If you are not connected to the Internet, the following Windows Setup dialog box opens. Click Skip this step and continue installing Windows, and then click Next.
- Files copy. In the Windows Setup dialog box, to finish the installation, click OK.
After the Recovery Console has been installed, use the following steps to access it.
- Restart the computer. When prompted to select an operating system to start, select Microsoft Windows Recovery Console.
Note: This menu opens each time the computer starts and defaults to 30 seconds. Refer to the Frequently Asked Question titled How do I adjust the System Startup times for the Startup Menu? for information on how to adjust how long the Startup menu appears on startup. Refer to Microsoft Knowledge Base Articles that are similar to Q216417 for additional information on installing Recovery Console and Microsoft Knowledge Base Articles that are similar to Q229716 for information about the commands available in Recovery Console.
- On the Microsoft Windows XP(TM) Recovery Console screen, press the number of the corresponding Windows XP installation for which you know the administrator password. The typical selection is 2.
- After selecting the appropriate Windows installation, at the prompt type the administrator password.
Note: The password for the Administrator account must be used, not just a password from an account with administrative privileges. The default Administrator password is blank.
- The C:\WINDOWS prompt appears.
- Use the desired Recovery Console Commands.
- When finished using the Recovery Console, at the prompt, type: Exit. Press the ENTER key to restart the computer.
Note: Refer to the FAQ Removing the Recovery Console as a Startup Option if you wish to remove Recovery Console from startup.