How can MSConfig be used to disable services from running when Windows starts?
Microsoft Windows XP, Microsoft Windows XP OEM Upgrade, Windows XP Tablet PC Edition
Note: Changing the default settings for services might prevent key services from running correctly. Only change the status of a service if it is necessary.
- Open the Run dialog box.
- From the Microsoft® Windows® XP default Start menu, click Run.
- From the Windows XP classic Start menu, click Run.
- In the Run dialog box, in the Open text box, type: Msconfig. Click OK.
- In the System Configuration Utility dialog box, click the Services tab.
- On the Services tab, clear the check box of the service to be disabled.
Note: Hide All Microsoft Services is useful only for displaying services that are not provided by Microsoft. A helpful troubleshooting step is to disable all services that are not from Microsoft.
- Click OK.
- In the System Configuration dialog box, to start the system with the selected services disabled, click Restart.