Starting the Computer in Safe Mode
- Restart the computer.
- If the computer is not a member of a domain:
- From the Start menu, click Turn Off Computer.
- In the Turn Off Computer dialog box, click Restart.
- If the computer is a member of a domain:
Note: A domain is a group of computers that are part of a network and share a common directory database.
- From the Start menu, click Shut Down.
- In the What do you want the computer to do list, click Restart, and then click OK.
- As the computer restarts, begin pressing the F8 key after the Gateway BIOS logo appears until the Windows Advanced Options Menu screen appears.
- On the Windows Advanced Options Menu screen, use the arrow keys to select Safe Mode, and then press the ENTER key.
- After logging on to Windows XP Safe mode, in the Desktop dialog box, click Yes.