Frequently Asked Questions
Q: How do I create a peer-to-peer (ad hoc) network on a portable computer in Windows XP?A: Use a peer-to-peer or ad hoc network if you are setting up or joining a temporary or permanent computer-to-computer network for sharing files and peripheral devices. This type of network does not include an access point into a wired network.
Follow these steps to create a peer-to-peer or ad hoc network.
- From the Start menu, click Control Panel.
- In Control Panel, in Category View, click Network and Internet Connections.
- In the Network and Internet Connections window, click or double-click Network Connections.
- In the Network Connections window, right-click Wireless Network Connection, and then click View Available Wireless Networks.
- In the Connect to Wireless Network dialog box, click Advanced.
- In the Wireless Network Connection Properties dialog box, click the Wireless Networks tab.
- On the Wireless Networks tab, click Add.
- In the Wireless Network Properties dialog box, in the Network (SSID) box, type the name of the network. For a peer-to-peer network, this can be any network name not already in use, for example, Adhoc.
- Select the This is a computer-to-computer (ad hoc) network check box.
- If an encryption key has been agreed to by the other members of your network, go to step 11.
If your network is not using an encryption key, go to step 17.
- Select the Data encryption (WEP enabled) check box.
- Click to clear the The key is provided for me automatically check box.
- In the Network key box, type the network key.
- In the Key format list, click the key format you have agreed to.
- In the Key length list, click the key length you have agreed to.
- In the Key index (advanced) list, click the up or down arrow button to select the key index you have agreed to.
- To close the Wireless Network Properties dialog box, click OK.
- Click the General tab.
- On the General tab, in the This connection uses the following items list, click Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) . If you do not see Internet Protocol (TCP/IP), drag the scroll bar to see more options.
- Click Properties.
- In the Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) Properties dialog box, click the General tab.
- On the General tab, click Use the following IP address.
- In the IP Address box, type an IP Address value, and then in the the Subnet Mask box, type a Subnet Mask value for each wireless computer on your peer-to-peer network. The IP Address for computer 1 should end with a 1, and the IP Address for computer 2 should end with a 2.
- To close the Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) Properties dialog box, click OK.
- To close the Wireless Network Connection Properties dialog box, click OK.