Frequently Asked Questions
Show Part Numbers
Hide Part Numbers
1014382R, 1014383R, 1014384R, 1014418R, 2905955R, 2905963R, 2905964R, 2905974R, 2906010R
Q: How do I add or replace memory modules in this convertible notebook?A: This notebook uses Small Outline Dual Inline Memory Modules (SO-DIMMs) memory modules. Two 200-pin industry standard DDR2-SODIMM sockets are located in this bay (one on top of the other). The modules are available in various capacities. There is not a Slot 1/Slot 2 designation for the modules. Any module may be used in any available slot.
Use only memory modules designed for your Gateway convertible notebook for upgrading your memory.
Warning: Disconnect the notebook from the optional port replicator. Disconnect the power adapter, disconnect the modem and network cables, and remove the batteries before removing the memory bay cover. Replace the cover before restoring power or reconnecting the modem and network cables.
Note: Before beginning, review electrostatic discharge (ESD) precautions.
Adding or Replacing Memory Modules
- Shut down the computer.
- Verify that the LCD panel is in notebook mode, and then close the LCD panel.
- Disconnect your notebook from the optional port replicator.
- Disconnect the power adapter, modem cable, and network cable.
- Disconnect all peripheral devices and remove any PC cards.
- Turn the computer over, and then remove the main battery and optional multi-bay battery.
- Loosen the six memory bay cover screws (they cannot be removed).
- Remove the memory bay cover.
- To remove a module:
- Gently press outward on the clip at each end of the memory module until the module tilts upward.
- Pull the memory module out of the slot.
- To inset a new or replacement module:
- Hold the module at a 30-degree angle and press it into the empty memory slot. This module is keyed so that it can only be inserted in one direction. If the module does not fit, verify that the notch in the module lines up with the tab in the memory bay.
- Gently push down on the SO-DIMM and make sure that the two clips on each side of the SODIMM click into place.
- Replace the memory bay cover.
- Replace the memory bay cover screws.
- Insert the main and optional multibay batteries, and then turn your convertible notebook over
- Reconnect the optional port replicator or connect the power adapter, modem cable, and network cable.
- Reconnect all peripheral devices and replace any PC cards.