Frequently Asked Questions
Show Part Numbers
Hide Part Numbers
1014382R, 1014383R, 1014384R, 1014418R, 2905955R, 2905963R, 2905964R, 2905974R, 2906010R, 2906011R,
Q: How do I replace the hard drive on this Gateway convertible notebook?A:
- Create a Drivers and Applications Recovery disc. For more information, reference Recovering Pre-installed Software and Drivers in your online User Guide. If you are adding a new hard drive you need to reinstall Windows® from the Windows® DVD, and then recover your pre-installed software and device drivers using recovery discs that you created.
- Back up any data you want to transfer to the new hard drive. For more information, reference Backing up Files in your online User Guide.
- Review electrostatic discharge (ESD) precautions.
- Turn off the notebook.
- Make sure the LCD panel is in notebook mode, and then close the LCD panel.
- Disconnect your notebook from the optional port replicator.
- Disconnect the AC adapter, modem cable, and network cable.
- Disconnect all peripheral devices and remove any PC cards.
- Turn your convertible notebook over so the bottom is facing up.
- Remove the main battery and optional multibay battery if installed.
- Loosen the two hard drive bay cover screws (they cannot be removed)
- Remove the hard drive bay cover.
- Remove the hard drive screw.
- Use the plastic tab to slide the drive forward, and then lift the old hard drive kit out of your convertible notebook.
- If your new hard drive already includes the hard drive kit bracket, go to Step 19. If you need to move the hard drive kit bracket from your old hard drive kit to your new hard drive, go to Step 16.
- Remove the four screws (2 on each side) that secure the hard drive to the hard drive kit bracket.
- Remove the bracket from the old drive.
- Insert the new drive into the bracket label side up, align the screw holes, and then replace the two screws that secure the bracket to the drive.
- Place the new hard drive kit into the bay and slide it into the connector.
- Replace the screw that secures the hard drive kit to the hard drive bay.
- Replace the hard drive bay cover and tighten the bay cover screws.
- Insert the batteries, and then turn your notebook over.
- Connect the power adapter, modem cable, and network cable.
- Turn on the notebook, open the optical drive, insert the Windows® DVD, close the optical drive, and then restart your notebook.
- At the prompt Press any key to boot from CD or DVD, press any key on your keyboard and follow the on-screen instructions. Insert your Drivers and Applications Recovery disc when prompted.
- Reconnect all peripheral devices and replace any ExpressCards.