Frequently Asked Questions
Show Part Numbers
Hide Part Numbers
1008638, 1008645, 1008647, 1008648, 1008666, 1008959, 1009004, 1009015, 1013877R, 1013924R,
1013946R, 1013977R, 1014340R, 2905895R
Gateway S-7710N, Gateway S-7710NXQ: How do I activate and use hibernate mode on my notebook using Windows XP?A: Hibernate - Also called Save to disk, writes all current memory (RAM) information to the hard drive, and then turns the computer completely off. The next time the computer is turned on, it reads the memory information from the hard drive and opens the programs and documents that were open when Hibernate was activated.
When in Hibernate mode, the computer saves all memory information to the hard drive, and then turns the power completely off.
To activate hibernate mode:
- In Windows® XP, from the Start menu, click Control Panel. With Control Panel in Category view, click Performance and Maintenance.
- In the Performance and Maintenance window, click the Power Options icon.
- In the Power Options Properties dialog box, click the Hibernate tab.
- On the Hibernate tab, click to select the Enable hibernation check box, and then click Apply.
Hibernate mode is now an option that you can select on the Advanced tab in the Power Options Properties dialog box and in the Turn Off Computer dialog box.
To use hibernation as an automatic power savings mode:
- Open the Power Options Properties dialog box, and then click the Power Schemes tab. Click the arrow button to open the System hibernates list, and then click the time you want to use.
- Open the Power Options Properties dialog box, and then click the Advanced tab. Hibernate is now an option in the Power buttons lists.
To manually place the computer into hibernation:
- In Windows XP, from the Start menu, click Turn Off Computer, press and hold the SHIFT key, and then click Hibernate.
|If your computer is...
||...and you want to...
||Enter Standby mode
||Enter Hibernate mode (must be enabled)
||In Windows® XP, from the Start menu, click Turn Off Computer, press and hold the SHIFT key, and then click Hibernate.
|In Standby or Hibernate mode
||Exit Standby or Hibernate mode
||Press the power button.