Frequently Asked Questions
Show Part Numbers
Hide Part Numbers
1008638, 1008645, 1008647, 1008648, 1008666, 1008959, 1009004, 1009015, 1013877R, 1013924R,
1013946R, 1013977R, 1014340R, 2905895R
Gateway S-7710N, Gateway S-7710NXQ: How do I add or replace memory modules in this notebook?A: This notebook uses DDR2 Small Outline Dual Inline Memory Modules (SO-DIMMs) memory modules. Two 200-pin industry standard DDR2-SODIMM sockets are located in this bay.
Note: There is not a Slot 1/Slot 2 designation for the modules. Any module may be used in any available slot.
Warning: Disconnect the power adapter, disconnect the modem and network cables, and remove the battery before removing the memory bay cover. Replace the cover before restoring power or reconnecting the modem and network cables.
Note: Before beginning, review electrostatic discharge (ESD) precautions.
Adding or Replacing Memory Modules
- Shut down the computer, and then disconnect the power adapter, modem cable, and network cable.
- Disconnect all peripheral devices and remove any PC cards.
- Disconnect your notebook from the optional port replicator.
- Turn the computer over, and then remove the battery.
- Slide the battery lock to the unlock position.
- Slide the battery release latch.
- Slide the battery out of the bay.
- Loosen the seven memory bay cover screws (these screws cannot be removed).
- Remove the memory bay cover.
- To remove a memory module:
- Locate the two clips on each side of a memory module and slowly press outward on the two clips at the same until the module tilts upward.
- Pull the memory module out of the slot.
- To install a memory module:
- Hold the new or replacement module at a 30-degree angle and press it into the empty memory slot. This module is keyed so that it can only be inserted in one direction. If the module does not fit, verify that the notch in the module lines up with the tab in the memory bay.
- Gently push down on the SO-DIMM and make sure that the two clips on each side of the SODIMM click into place.
- Replace the memory bay cover.
- Tighten the memory bay cover screws.
- Insert the battery, and then turn on the computer.
- Reconnect the optional port replicator.
- Connect the AC adapter, modem and network cables, and then turn on the computer.