Frequently Asked Questions
Show Part Numbers
Hide Part Numbers
1008801, 1008803, 1008989, 1014338R
Q: How do I replace the hard drive on this notebook?A: Warning: Disconnect the power adapter and the modem and network cables. Remove the battery before removing the hard drive bay cover. Replace the cover before restoring power or reconnecting the modem and network cables.
- Back up any data you want to transfer to the new hard drive.
- Before beginning, review electrostatic discharge (ESD) precautions.
- Shut down the computer
- Disconnect from the optional port replicator.
- Disconnect the power adapter, modem, and network cables.
- Disconnect all peripheral devices and remove any PC cards.
- Turn the computer over, remove the main battery and the optional second battery if installed.
- Remove the keyboard screw shown in the following picture, and loosen the remaining five captive screws (these 5 screws cannot be removed).
- Being careful not to break off the tabs located on the ends of the cover, use the thumb notch to lift the bay cover, and then remove it.
- Remove the two screws connecting the hard drive to the notebook.
- Using the plastic tab, slide the old hard drive away from the connector, and then remove it.
- If your new hard drive already includes the hard drive kit bracket, go to step 16. If you need to move the hard drive kit bracket from your old hard drive kit to your new hard drive, go to step 13.
- Remove the two screws on each side of the hard drive kit that secure the hard drive to the hard drive bracket.
- Remove the bracket from the old drive.
- Place the new drive, label side up, onto the bracket so the screw holes line up, and then replace the two screws on each side, that secure the bracket to the drive.
- Slide the new hard drive kit back into the hard drive bay
- Replace the screws that secure the hard drive kit to the notebook.
- Replace the bay cover, replace the keyboard screw, and then tighten the captive screws.
- Insert the battery(ies), and then turn the computer over.
- Connect the optional port replicator or connect the AC adapter, modem and network cables, and then turn on the computer.