Frequently Asked Questions
Show Part Numbers
Hide Part Numbers
1008798, 1008799, 1008800, 1008859R, 1008973, 1009046, 1009097, 1009098, 1009126, 1014224R,
1014337R, 1014628R, 290589R, Cyclops
Q: How do I replace the hard drive on this notebook?A: Warning: Disconnect the power adapter and the modem and network cables. Remove the battery before removing the hard drive cover. Replace the cover before restoring power or reconnecting the modem and network cables.
Note: If you need to reistall your operating system after replacing the hard drive, you will need to create a Drivers and Applications Recovery disc using the procedure found in your User Guide. To view your User Guide, from the Start menu, point to Programs, click Gateway Documentation and then click User Guide.
- Back up any data you want to transfer to the new hard drive.
- Before beginning, review electrostatic discharge (ESD) precautions.
- Shut down the computer, and then disconnect the power adapter.
- Disconnect from the optional port replicator.
- Disconnect the modem and network cables.
- Disconnect all peripheral devices and remove any PC cards.
- Disconnect your notebook from the optional port replicator.
- Turn the computer over, and then remove the battery.
- Remove the two hard drive bay screws.
- Slide the hard drive away from the notebook, and then remove it. The hard drive is attached to the back of the cover.
- Remove the two screws on each side of the hard drive that secure the hard drive to the hard drive cover.
- Remove the cover from the old hard drive.
- Remove the metal shield from the old hard drive.
- Insert the new hard drive into the metal shield with the label side up, place the new assembly into the hard drive cover with the label side down, and then replace the screws that secure the cover to the drive.
- Slide the new hard drive into your notebook.
- Replace the hard drive bay cover screws.
- Insert the battery, and then turn your notebook over.
- Connect the optional port replicator and then connect the power adapter, modem, and network cables and then turn on the computer.