Frequently Asked Questions
Show Part Numbers
Hide Part Numbers
1007879, 1007881, 1007882, 3501777, 3501778, 3501779, 3501780, 3501788, 3501789
Q: How do I add or replace memory modules in the Gateway M405 notebook?A: This notebook has two 200-pin industry standard DDR-SODIMM sockets that can accept PC-266 DDR SDRAM memory modules. Maximum supported memory is 2 GB.
Note: There is not a Slot 1/Slot 2 designation for the modules. Any module may be used in any available slot.
Warning: Disconnect the power adapter, disconnect the modem and network cables, and remove the battery before removing the memory bay cover. Replace the cover before restoring power or reconnecting the modem and network cables.
Note: Before beginning, review electrostatic discharge (ESD) precautions.
Adding or Replacing Memory Modules
- Shut down the notebook, and then disconnect the power adapter and modem and network cables.
- Disconnect the notebook from the optional port replicator.
- Turn the notebook over, and then remove the battery.
- Loosen the memory bay cover screw.
- Remove the memory bay cover.
- To remove a memory module:
- Locate the two clips on each side of a memory module, and then slowly press outward on the two clips at the same time until the module tilts upward.
- Pull the memory module out of the slot.
- To install a memory module:
- Hold the new or replacement module at a 30-degree angle and press it into the empty memory slot. This module is keyed so that it can only be inserted in one direction. If the module does not fit, verify that the notch in the module lines up with the tab in the memory bay.
- Gently push down on the SO-DIMM and make sure that the two clips on each side of the SO-DIMM click into place.
- Replace the memory bay cover.
- Replace the screw.
- Insert the battery, and then turn the notebook over.
- Reattach the optional port replicator.
- Connect the AC adapter, modem and network cables, and then turn on the notebook.