Frequently Asked Questions
Show Part Numbers
Hide Part Numbers
1007879, 1007881, 1007882, 3501777, 3501778, 3501779, 3501780, 3501788, 3501789
Q: How do I change the hard drive in the Gateway M405 notebook?A:
Warning: Disconnect the power adapter, the modem and network cables, and remove the battery before removing the hard drive bay cover. Replace the cover before restoring power or reconnecting the modem and network cables.
- Back up any data you want to transfer to the new hard drive.
- Before beginning, review electrostatic discharge (ESD) precautions.
- Shut down the computer, and then disconnect the power adapter.
- Disconnect the modem and network cables.
- Disconnect your notebook from the optional port replicator.
- Turn the computer over, and then remove the battery.
- Remove the hard drive bay screws.
- Slide the hard drive kit away from the computer.
- If your new hard drive already includes the hard drive kit bracket, go to step 12.
- OR -
If you need to move the hard drive kit bracket from your old hard drive kit to your new hard drive, go to step 8.
- Remove the two screws that secure the hard drive to the hard drive kit bracket.
- Remove the bracket from the old drive.
- Insert the new drive into the bracket so the screw holes line up and the plastic strip is positioned on the top of the bracket.
- Replace the two screws that secure the bracket to the drive.
- Slide the new hard drive kit into the computer.
- Replace the screws that secure the hard drive kit to the computer.
- Insert the battery, and then turn over the computer.
- Connect the AC adapter, modem and network cables, and then turn on the computer.