Frequently Asked Questions
Show Part Numbers
Hide Part Numbers
1008469, 1008470, 1008476, 1008545, 2900782, 2900783, 2900807, 2900808, 3400087, 3400088,
3401842, 3401949, 3401951Q: How do I replace the hard drive on the Gateway M250 notebook?A: Warning: Disconnect the power adapter and the modem and network cables. Disconnect your notebook from the optional port replicator. Remove the battery before removing the hard drive bay cover. Replace the cover before restoring power or reconnecting the modem and network cables.
- Back up any data you want to transfer to the new hard drive.
- Before beginning, review electrostatic discharge (ESD) precautions.
- Shut down the computer, and then disconnect the power adapter.
- Disconnect the modem and network cables.
- Disconnect all peripheral devices and remove any PC cards.
- Disconnect your notebook from the optional port replicator.
- Turn the computer over, and then remove the battery.
- Slide the battery lock to the unlock position.
- Slide the battery release latch.
- Slide the battery out of the bay.
- Remove the hard drive bay cover screw.
- Slide the hard drive bay cover, then remove it.
- Remove the two screws securing the hard drive kit to the notebook.
- Slide the old hard drive kit away from the hard drive connector.
- Lift the old hard drive kit out of the bay.
- If your new hard drive already includes the hard drive kit bracket, go to step 17.
If you need to move the hard drive kit bracket from your old hard drive kit to your new hard drive, go to step 14.
- Remove the two screws on each side of the hard drive kit that secure the hard drive to the hard drive bracket.
- Remove the bracket from the old drive.
- Insert the new drive into the bracket so the screw holes line up, and then replace the two screws on each side, that secure the bracket to the drive.
- Slide the new hard drive kit back into the hard drive bay.
- Replace the screws that secure the hard drive kit to the notebook.
- Replace the hard drive bay cover.
- Replace the cover screw.
- Insert the battery, and then turn over the computer.
- Reconnect the optional port replicator.
- Connect the AC adapter, modem and network cables, and then turn on the computer.