Frequently Asked Questions
Q: How do I use Standby on the Gateway 450ROG and 450RGH notebooks?A: The following power modes can be used to lengthen the life of the computerís battery.
- Standby While your computer is in Standby, it switches to a low power state where devices, such as the display and drives, turn off.
Always save your work before using Standby mode. When in Standby, the computer reduces or turns off the power to most devices, except memory. However, the information in memory is not saved to the hard drive. If power is interrupted, the information is lost.
Follow these steps to change the Standby settings.
- Open Control Panel.
- In Microsoft® Windows® XP, from the Start menu, click Control Panel. The Control Panel window opens. If your Control Panel is in category view, click Performance and Maintenance.
- In Windows 2000, from the Start menu, point to Settings, and then click Control Panel. The Control Panel window opens.
- In Control Panel, click or double-click the Power Options or Power Management icon.
- In the Power Options Properties dialog box, on the Power Schemes tab, click the System standby drop boxs, and select the amount of time you want the systen to wait before entering Standby. Select Never if you do not want the system to enter Standby.
- Click Apply, and then click OK.
- Hibernate Also called Save to disk, writes all current memory (RAM) information to the hard drive, and then turns the computer completely off. The next time the computer is turned on, it reads the memory information from the hard drive and opens the programs and documents that were open when Hibernate was activated.
When in Hibernate mode, the computer saves all memory information to the hard drive, and then turns the power completely off.
|If your computer is...
||...and you want to...
||Enter Standby mode
||Enter Hibernate mode (must be enabled)
||In Microsoft® Windows® XP, from the Start menu, click Turn Off Computer, press and hold the SHIFT key, and then click Hibernate.
In Windows 2000, from the Start menu, click Shut Down. In the What do you want your computer to do list, click Hibernate, and then click OK.
|In Standby or Hibernate mode
||Exit Standby or Hibernate mode
||Press the power button.