Frequently Asked Questions
Q: How do I adjust the volume on a portable computer in Windows 2000?A: In Microsoft® Windows® 2000, you can use the volume controls to adjust the overall volume and the volume of specific sound devices in your computer.
Adjusting the Overall Volume Level
- To adjust the overall volume level using hardware controls, press Fn+PAGE UP or Fn+PAGE DOWN to increase or decrease the volume, or press Fn+HOME to turn off all sound.
- Click the speaker icon on the taskbar, and then drag the slider to change the volume or click to select the Mute check box.
Adjusting Specific Volume Levels
- On the taskbar, double-click the speaker icon.
- In the Volume Control window, if the device you want to adjust does not appear, from the Options menu, click Properties, select the audio device you want to appear, and then click OK.
- Drag the Volume and Balance sliders for the device you want to adjust, and then close the window.