Frequently Asked Questions
Show Part Numbers
Hide Part Numbers
MC73, MC78, MD24, MD26, MD73, MD78
Q: Notebook's Battery Is Not Charging To 100%A:
An error in the BIOS code may cause the computer to stop charging the battery prior to 100%. Updating the BIOS can resolve this issue.
Symptoms commonly associated with this issue are:
- Charging LED on the front of the unit becomes solid RED after the battery is over 90% charged.
- Windows battery charge status will not reach 100%
- Windows battery charge status shows 0%, yet the battery runs for an hour or more.
- Over-voltage error appears in the "battery learning" utility in CMOS setup
To resolve, perform the following:
Downloading and installing the latest BIOS file:
Obtain the latest BIOS files from the Gateway drivers download area.
Note: The BIOS files are OS dependent, be sure to select the correct BIOS version for your version of Windows.
- Download the file and unzip its contents to the computer.
- Run the BIOS update application from the Windows folder
- Follow the prompts to install the update to the BIOS.
After installing the BIOS file:
- Shutdown the computer.
- Remove the battery for 30 seconds, then reinstall the battery
- Reboot the computer and press F2 to go into the BIOS Setup Utility.
- Press F9 to load default configuration.
- Press F10 to save configuration and exit.