Frequently Asked Questions
Show Part Numbers
Hide Part Numbers
1014153R, 2905937R, ViperC
Q: How do I replace the hard drive on the Gateway convertible notebook?A:
- Create a Drivers and Applications Recovery disc using the Gateway Recovery Center.
- Back up any data you want to transfer to the new hard drive. For more information, see "Backing up files" in the online User Guide.
- Review electrostatic discharge (ESD) precautions.
- Turn off the notebook.
- Disconnect the AC adapter, modem cable, and network cable.
- Disconnect all peripheral devices and remove any PC cards.
- Verify that the LCD panel is in notebook mode, and then close the LCD panel.
- Disconnect your notebook from the optional port replicator.
- Turn your convertible notebook over so the bottom is facing up.
- Remove the main battery and optional multibay battery if installed.
- Loosen the two hard drive bay cover screws (they cannot be removed)
- Remove the hard drive bay cover.
- Remove the hard drive screw.
- Slide the old hard drive kit out of your convertible notebook.
- If your new hard drive already includes the hard drive kit bracket, go to Step 19. If you need to move the hard drive kit bracket from your old hard drive kit to your new hard drive, go to Step 16.
- Remove the four screws (2 on each side) that secure the hard drive to the hard drive kit bracket.
- Remove the bracket from the old drive.
- Insert the new drive into the bracket label side up, align the screw holes, and then replace the two screws that secure the bracket to the drive.
- Place the new hard drive kit into the bay and slide it into the connector.
- Replace the screw that secures the hard drive kit to the hard drive bay.
- Replace the hard drive bay cover and tighten the bay cover screws.
- Insert the batteries, and then turn your notebook over.