Frequently Asked Questions
Show Part Numbers
Hide Part Numbers
1014330R, 1014331R, 1014336R
Q: How do I replace the hard drive in this notebook?A:
- Create a Drivers and Applications Recovery disc. For more information, reference Recovering Pre-installed Software and Drivers in your online User Guide. If you are adding a new hard drive you need to reinstall Windows® from the Windows® DVD, and then recover your pre-installed software and device drivers using recovery discs that you created.
- Back up any data you want to transfer to the new hard drive. For more information, reference Backing up Files in your online User Guide.
- Review electrostatic discharge (ESD) precautions.
- Turn off the notebook.
- Close the LCD panel.
- Disconnect the notebook from the optional port replicator.
- Disconnect all peripheral devices and remove any PC cards.
- Disconnect the AC adapter, modem cable, and network cable.
- Turn the notebook over so the bottom is facing up.
- Remove the main and optional modular bay battery(ies).
- Loosen the eight hard drive bay cover screws (these screws cannot be removed).
- Remove the hard drive bay cover.
- Remove the two hard drive screws.
- Use the plastic strip to slide the old hard drive away from the connector, and then lift the old hard drive kit out of the notebook.
- If your new hard drive already includes the hard drive kit bracket, go to Step 20. If you need to move the hard drive kit bracket from your old hard drive kit to your new hard drive, go to Step 17.
- Remove the four screws (2 on each side) that secure the hard drive to the hard drive kit bracket.
- Remove the bracket from the old drive.
- Insert the new drive into the bracket label side up, align the screw holes, and then replace the four screws (2 on each side) that secure the bracket to the drive.
- Place the new hard drive kit into the bay, slide it into the connector, and then replace the screws that secure the hard drive kit to the hard drive bay.
- Slide the tabs located on the top of the bay cover, into the slots on the top of the bay, and then tighten the cover screws.
- Insert the batteries, and then turn your notebook over.
- Connect the power adapter, modem cable, and network cable.
- Turn on the notebook, open the DVD drive, insert the Windows® DVD, close the DVD drive, and then restart your notebook.
- At the prompt Press any key to boot from CD or DVD, press any key on your keyboard and follow the on-screen instructions. Insert your Drivers and Applications Recovery disc when prompted.
- Reconnect all peripheral devices and replace any ExpressCards.