Frequently Asked Questions
Show Part Numbers
Hide Part Numbers
1014328R, 1014329R, 1014335R
Q: How do I add or replace memory modules in this Gateway notebook?A: This notebook uses DDR2 RAM Small Outline Dual Inline Memory Modules (SO-DIMMs) memory modules. Two 200-pin industry standard DDR2-SODIMM sockets are located in this bay. The modules are available in various capacities. There is not a Slot 1/Slot 2 designation for the modules. Any module may be used in any available slot.
Use only memory modules designed for your Gateway notebook when upgrading your memory.
Warning: Disconnect the notebook from the optional port replicator. Disconnect the power adapter, disconnect the modem and network cables, and remove the batteries before removing the memory bay cover. Replace the cover before restoring power or reconnecting the modem and network cables.
Note: Before beginning, review electrostatic discharge (ESD) precautions.
Adding or Replacing Memory Modules
- Turn off the notebook.
- Close the LCD panel.
- Disconnect the notebook from the optional port replicator.
- Disconnect all peripheral devices and remove any PC cards.
- Disconnect the AC adapter, modem cable, and network cable.
- Turn the notebook over so the bottom is facing up.
- Remove the main and optional modular bay battery(ies).
- Loosen the nine memory bay cover screws (these screws cannot be removed).
- Remove the memory bay cover.
- To remove a module:
- Gently press outward on the clip at each end of the memory module until the module tilts upward.
- Pull the memory module out of the slot.
- To remove a second module, repeat steps a. and b.
- To insert a new or replacement module:
- Hold the module at a 30-degree angle and press it into the empty memory slot. This module is keyed so that it can only be inserted in one direction. If the module does not fit, verify that the notch in the module lines up with the tab in the memory bay.
- Gently push down on the SO-DIMM and make sure that the two clips on each side of the SODIMM click into place.
- Slide the tabs located on the top of the memory bay cover, into the slots on the top of the bay, and then tighten the cover screws.
- Insert the battery(ies).
- Reconnect the optional port replicator or connect the AC adapter, modem and network cables, and then turn on the computer.