Frequently Asked Questions
Show Part Numbers
Hide Part Numbers
1009550, 1014120R, 1014142R, 1014190R, 1014192R, 1014199R, 1014201R, 1014289R, 1014300R, 1014352R,
1014372R, 1014396R, 1014398R, 1014423R, 1014485R, 1014494R, 1014526R, 1014534R, 1014536R, 1014550R,
1014552R, 1014575R, 1014577R, 1014608R, 1014617R, 1014624R, 1014626R, 1014636R, 1014638R, 1014654R,
1014788R, 1014789R, 1015119R, 2905919R, 2905923R
Q: How do I replace the hard drive in this notebook?A: Warning: Disconnect the power adapter and the modem and network cables. Remove the battery before removing the hard drive bay cover. Replace the cover before restoring power or reconnecting the modem and network cables.
- If you have not already done so, create a Drivers and Applications Recovery disc. Instructions for creating the disc can be found in the Recovering Your System section of your online User Guide.
- Print the Recovering Your System chapter from the online User Guide to guide you through the installation of the operating system and drivers for the new hard drive.
- Back up any data you want to transfer to the new hard drive.
- Before beginning, review electrostatic discharge (ESD) precautions.
- Shut down the computer, and then disconnect the power adapter.
- Disconnect the modem and network cables.
- Disconnect all peripheral devices and remove any Express cards.
- Turn the computer over, and then remove the battery.
- Slide the battery lock to the unlock position.
- Slide the battery release latch.
- Slide the battery out of the bay.
- Remove the two hard drive screws.
- Slide the old hard drive out of the notebook.
- If your new hard drive already includes the hard drive kit bracket, go to step 13.
If you need to move the hard drive kit bracket from your old hard drive kit to your new hard drive, go to step 10.
- Remove the two screws on each side of the hard drive kit that secure the hard drive to the hard drive bracket.
- Remove the bracket from the old drive.
- Place the new drive, label side up, in the bracket so that the screw holes line up and then replace the two screws on each side, to secure the bracket to the drive.
- Slide the new hard drive kit into the hard drive bay.
- Replace the screws that secure the hard drive kit to the notebook.
- Insert the battery, and then turn over the computer.
- Connect the AC adapter, modem and network cables, and then turn on the computer.