Notebook - No POST / No Video
If your notebook has power but does not start, follow the steps below.
No POST - No Power
- Press and hold the power button down for 10 seconds.
- Make sure that the power and hard disk light-emitting diodes (LEDs) are on.
- Check the power cable connections:
- From the electrical outlet to the AC adapter.
- If applicable, make sure the LED on the AC Adapter lights.
- From the AC adapter to the notebook.
- Make sure that the power strip is on.
- Make sure that the surge protector is on.
- Try another electrical outlet.
- Disconnect any external devices, like PC cards, digital cameras, or external drives.
- Disconnect the notebook from the docking station (if applicable). Remove any power strips and surge protectors. Plug the power cord directly from the notebook into the electrical outlet.
- Remove the battery and reinstall the battery. Refer to the documentation that came with the notebook.
- Remove any newly installed software or hardware.
- Remove any additional memory. Refer to the documentation that came with the notebook for memory removal instructions.
- Shut down the computer, and then remove the drives. Refer to the documentation that came with the notebook.
- Push the hardware reset (if applicable). Refer to the documentation that came with the notebook.
Power - No Video
- Adjust the contrast and brightness on the LCD screen.
- Press Fn + F4 and toggle the screen.
- If available, connect an external monitor to the notebook.
- Restart the computer and boot into safe mode (If you have video now - refer to the My portable's video is not working correctly checklist).
- If available, try booting to a bootable Operating System CD or bootable Application and Drivers CD. (If you can see video booting to this, then it is not the monitor\LCD)
If following the above procedures did not resolve your problem, please contact Gateway through one of
the following methods: