Frequently Asked Questions
Show Part Numbers
Hide Part Numbers
1008485, 1008490, 1008493, 1008494, 1008623, WME003668-0403
FX400MC, FX400X, FX400S, FX400XL, FX400MCQ: How do I remove and replace an add-in card in the Gateway 7-bay computer case?A: Remove an add-in card
Replace an add-in card
- Turn off the computer, and then disconnect the power cord.
- Remove the computer's right side panel.
- At the rear of the case, remove the screw that secures the add-in card retention door.
- Swing the retention door open.
- For more stability, you can carefully lay the computer case on its left side.
- Inside the case, locate the add-in card slots near the lower rear corner of the case.
Note: Inside the case, some PCI Express video cards require a support bracket. If this bracket is present, perform the following steps to remove it.
- Loosen the PCI Express card bracket by sliding it toward the rear of the case.
- Lift the loose end of the PCI Express card bracket up, and then pull the bracket toward the front of the case and out.
- If applicable, disconnect any cables connected to the card being removed.
- Remove the card from the slot.
- Top slot - If the card being removed is installed in the PCI express ×16 slot, turn the case so that the top of the case is facing you. With your right hand, reach into the case as shown in the graphic below, and then press and hold the PCI express slot's card retention clip toward the top of the case. With your left hand, lift the bracket end of the video card up to loosen it. After the card is loosened, you can release the slot retention clip, and then use both hands to lift the card out of the slot.
- All other slots - If the card being removed is installed in any other slot, lift the card from the slot. Rocking the card while lifting can be helpful.
- Align the card with the slot, and then press it into place. Press at both ends of the card to ensure that it is seated properly.
- If applicable, connect cables to the card.
- If applicable, replace the PCI Express card bracket.
- Insert the two tabs on one end of the bracket though the slots in the rear of the case.
- Lower the other end of the bracket to align the tabs on it with the slots in the hard drive cage, and then slide the bracket toward the front of the case until the bracket is seated.
- At the rear of the case, swing the add-in card retention door closed.
- Secure the door with the screw.
- If needed, stand the computer case upright.
- Replace the right side panel.
- Connect the computer's power cord, and then turn on the computer.