Frequently Asked Questions
Show Part Numbers
Hide Part Numbers
1009171, 1009172, 1009173, 1009174, 1009295, 1009296, 1009303, 1009447, 1009473, 1009475,
1009547, 1009573, 1014385R, 1014386R, 1014387R, 1014388R, 1014389R, 1014390R, 1014391R, 1014419R,
2905934R, 2905950R, 2905985R, 2905986R, 3502124R
FX530S, FX530XM, FX530XG, FX530XT, FX530XV, FX530B, FX530XL, FX530S, FX8030, FX8020,
FX8010m, FX8040, FX530S, FX530XM, FX530XG, FX530XT, FX530XV, FX530XL, FX530B, FX530XE,
FX530QS, FX540XG, FX540B, FX540XGQ: How do I remove and replace an optical drive in the Gateway 7-bay BTX computer case?A: Note: Computer models that use the Gateway® 7-bay BTX case may have either PATA or SATA optical drives installed. The data cables used with the drives may vary. Although the cables look different from each other, the steps to disconnect and reconnect them are essentially the same. The types are:
The power cables connected to the drives also differs. The two types are:
Remove an optical drive
Replace an optical drive
- Turn off the computer, and then disconnect the power cord.
- Remove the computer's right side panel.
- Inside the case, locate the 5.25-inch drive bays in the upper front corner.
- At the rear of the optical drive, disconnect the data and power cables. SATA cables may have clips that need to be pressed to disconnect them.
PATA cable and 4-pin power cable
Compressed PATA cable and 4-pin power cable
SATA data cable and SATA power cable
- If present, remove the shipping thumbscrew for the drive being removed.
- Slide the 5.25-inch drive bay release lever toward the rear of the case. When the bay is unlocked, an unlock symbol is visible.
Note: For computers, including the FX540 series, that have a Blu-ray / HD DVD combo drive installed, the release latch is already in the unlocked position. The proper alignment of the drive prevents the use of the locking latch. The drive is secured in the bay with a thumbscrew.
- Slide the optical drive out of the front of the case.
- At the front of the case, slide the optical drive into the bay.
- Connect the power and data cables to the rear of the optical drive.
- Replace the right side panel.
- Connect the computer's power cord, and then turn on the computer.